|Goals Create the Motivation Behind Milestones|
| 1) Researching
for and selecting the right pup took almost a year.
2) Finding a breeder where a high litter pick was primary. It was a "second litter"
repeat breeding with excellent recommendations from the first litter owners.
3) I could see the mother up-close and a first litter pup in training. The sire has a
terrific reputation for passing on his high quality traits.
4) After all the anxiety and over-load of information,... "this feels right" was a relief.
5) My search was for a yellow female that would naturally point and retrieve. The pup
would train for hunt test "games" and be used extensively to hunt in the uplands.
Milestones, August, 2000-January, 2001
1) Crate training was easy and the first three months were all fun and games.
2) The usual sit, here, kennel up, and heel were done with no pressure.
3) Treat "overs & backs" to place boards, remote sits, deep water retrieves were
"fun & games". This pup is scary precocious!
4) Dummy e-collar on at 4 1/2 months
5) Collar conditioned to "here" and "sit" at 5 months (a la Dobbs & phased to Lardy's
collar approach later)
6) Force fetch (FF) started at six months (baby teeth gone) and completed with stick
fetch, collar fetch, force to pile by 7 months. (great enthusiasm, a "newbie's"
Taffey's Training - 1st Six Months (link)
7) Intro to birds (a la Knutson's & a little late) was done with ten pigeons and silos.
She loved'em......bumped several, couldn't catch'em and the last three got real
nice, locked-up points. That's it! She's "dechased". It's back to retriever training.
8) Three-handed casting, wagon wheels, single and double marks, steady at the
line......Started Hunting Retriever title (SHR) in HRC at 10 months
9) Single/modified T's, swim-by, pattern blinds, lining drills, cold blinds, e-collar
elevated to Lardy techniques with indirect pressure handled well; August, 2001,
passed first try Seasoned test in HRC; Seasoned Hunting Retriever title (HR) at 14
10) first hunting season - game farm controlled hunts & "Euro" tower shoots
Milestones, February, 2002-October, 2002
1) Steady to wing and shot.....two HRC Upland Hunt test (first try) passes in
2) Certified Pointing title (CP) at Joy, IL in March, 2002 scoring 33.5 points out of a
3) Three months of training for 3 AKC derby attempts In June, at her first derby,
Taffey got to the last duck in the final series. Wow! This is tough stuff.
4) In July, 2002, on her first try in an AKC Senior Hunter test she got a pass.
5) Late August, Taffey passed her first try at Finished hunt test in HRC.
6) September, 2002, Taffey got her 5th AKC Senior Hunter pass & SH title.
7) October, 2002, at Roberts, IL 1st try pass Master Pointing Retriever & the MPR title
8) 17 hunt test passes including 1 HRCH, 2 UH passes with 5 titles (26 months of age)
Milestones, February, 2003 - December, 2003
1) Two full seasons of upland hunting.....two more HRC Upland Hunt test passes &
the Upland Hunter (UH) Title at Bong Rec. Area - Feb. 22, 2003
SHR, HR, UH, CP, MPR, SH - titles at two and a half years old
2) September 20, 2003 Ran first AKC Master test in Horicon, WI, went out in the 3rd
series, handled by pro Brian Moyse after having her for only a few weeks (from
August 28th), ran well and was very competitive
3) October 11-12, 2003 Passed her first AKC Master Hunter Test with pro Brian Moyse
handling at Carlyle, IL - mission accomplished!
4) Fall/Winter 2003 hunting season (ducks and pheasants)
5) Dec 14th - 4th place in Top Gun Pointer Division of Western Wisconsin Open
Pheasant Championship at Woods & Meadow Hunting Preserve
Milestones, January - Dec, 2004
1) Feb 8th - finished a close up 6th in the Illinois Upland Championships Amateur
Pointing Division at Rock Hollow Hunt Club, Freeport, Illinois
2) May 29-30, 2004 Second AKC Master Hunter Test pass with pro Brian Moyse
handling at Valders, WI - Island View Retriever Club
3) June 5-6, 2004 Third AKC Master Hunt Test pass with Brian Moyse again
handling at Stoughton, WI - Madison Retriever Club
4) August 2, 2004 - Taffey is now four years old
5) August 28, 2004 - officially retired from hunt tests
6) fall of 2004 upland & waterfowl hunting & preserve upland guide dog
Milestones, January - Dec, 2005
1) bred in April, 2005 to FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown Dusty Brown MH
2) seven pups born June 10, 2005
3) July 25, 2005 Taffey comes out of hunt test retirement after weaning pups
4) August 20, 2005 - Taffey passes 2nd HRC Finished test (handler Brian Moyse)
Wisill HRC at Bong Rec. Area, Wi
5) August 21, 2005 - Taffey passes 3rd HRC Finished test (handler Brian Moyse)
Badger State HRC at Bong Rec. Area, WI
6) September 3-4, 2005 Fourth AKC Master Hunter test pass with Brian Moyse
handling at Stoughton, WI - Madison Retriever Club
7) September 10, 2005 Taffey passes her 4th HRC Finished test with Brian Moyse
handling at Kelly Farms, MN - Land O'Lakes HRC and gets her HRCH title
8) September 11, 2005 Taffey passes her 5th HRC Finished test with Brian Moyse
handling at Kelly Farms, MN - Land O'Lakes HRC (extra pass for practice)
9) September 25, 2005 Taffey passes fifth AKC Master test & earns MH title with
pro Brian Moyse handling at Horicon, WI - Wis. Am. Retriever Club